Friday, January 16, 2015

Duck Dynasty

January 13, 2015

Hello,

Today I will debunk some myths about Dallas and Texas.  Many people think all Texas is a desert with cactuses and cowboys and such. While this is true of West Texas, East Texas is very green and forested.  I think y'all saw that with some of the pictures I sent back when I was in Palestine. 

People also think of cowboys when they think of Texas - cowboy hat, flannel shirt, blue jeans, and pointed-toe cowboy boots. Texas in this part here is somewhat different. Being so close to Louisiana, East Texas takes kind of a mix of Texas and Louisiana dress and culture. Stereotypical East Texas dress is a camo hoodie (not army-style camo but hunter camo), an old baseball cap (rounded- not flat bill), jeans (sometimes blue but often other colors of jeans), square-toe cowboy boots (never pointed-toe) and to top it all off- an awesome beard! 
Look up the T.V. show  Duck Dynasty if you don't already know it. It is extremely popular out here and I've seen more than a few guys walking around rocking that kind of look. 

Another thing that kind of surprised me is how Christian it is here. People call Texas the buckle of the Bible belt. "God bless" is a common phrase. Everyone goes to church and I can count on one hand the number of people here in Henderson who have told me they're atheist. Not using that as an expression- it is literally less than five. I can walk into the local Wal-Mart and purchase a t-shirt with verses of Bible scripture on it. 

The cowboy look is rare- however if you go into Fort Worth and further west I hear it is very common. 

Past week was a bit disappointing for Elder Witkowski and I. But good news is that Elder Witkowski gave a talk in church yesterday and we finally got a gospel principles class! We will be the ones teaching it but that should be fine. 

It has been very rainy here for the past two weeks. Thankfully we have not dipped below freezing nor come close to having ice. 

I love y'all very much!

-Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment