Sunday, February 1, 2015

Being Sanctified

January 26, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

I want to take the opportunity to share what I have been learning.

I have been caught up with the word and concept of Sanctified and Sanctification for what feels like a few weeks now. Thought I would share a little of what I have learned.

In 3 Nephi 27:20 the Savior says, "Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day."

Jesus here challenges us to change what we want and what we do. He invites us by a commandment to repent, to be baptized and to get the gift of the Holy Ghost. If we choose to follow Him, and do as He says we shall be sanctified by getting the Holy ghost. It is when the Holy Ghost is in our heart and we have God's spirit with us. God no longer views the bad things we do- but we are clean from sin as a white shirt is cleaned from a stain when it is washed. (see Isaiah 1:18)  That is what it means to be sanctified. If you have been baptized and given the gift of the Holy Ghost by someone holding the authority to do so, you were sanctified at that time. Each week we have opportunity to renew, again make our agreement with God to follow his Son. The way is to partake or participate in the sacrament each week.

In 3 Nephi 18:6-7 the Savior says,  "And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.  And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me.  And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you." 

If we always have the Holy Ghost with us, we are always sanctified! If we are always sanctified, we stand spotless and without any sin before God now and at the last day. 

In 3 Nephi 27:22 Christ instructs, "Therefore, if ye do these things blessed are ye, for ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

We are taught in D&C 133:62, "And unto him that repenteth and sanctifieth himself before the Lord shall be given eternal life."

Eternal life is to live with God in heaven forever! This is the greatest gift God can give us! Jesus showed us the way-- If we will obey God's will, be baptized and each week partake of the sacrament, continuing to repent and forsake our sins we will have that ultimate goal.  Next time you take the sacrament at church, remember how important what you are doing is, and take it as a commitment to follow Christ better than you have previously. I know that if we will continue to improve little by little, we will look back and be astonished at what we have achieved.


-Elder Hunt

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elder Hunt,
    Love your most recent post about being sanctified! I enjoy reading your blog, it gives me insight. I know you are an awesome missionary & so dedicated to the work of the Lord! I miss your mom lots & plan on getting over to Japan to visit. Keep of the work of truth as I know you are. Take Care & go get'em ;o)

    ReplyDelete