Monday, August 26, 2013

What Is Love Anyway?

August 15, 2013

The mission is going well.  Today we had a special once-a-year Texas Dallas Mission Olympics!  Elder Findlay and I got the silver medal in the referral event.  YAY!!  So I'm sending the medal home for fun and a memento for you, family.

Madre, I love you.  It is because of your love and guidance to me that I can do the same for others.  Thank you for your loving, thoughtful and imaginative gifts and notes.

Fadre, I love you.  I know with a surety that you love me.  It is not just because you daily looked me in the eyes and said, "Graham, do you know I love you?"  "Yes, Dad," I would reply.  But now I better understand love.  When you have love for a person, you serve them, you make personal sacrifices for the other person's benefit.

One example of pure love is Jesus' atonement, which I am working to truly understand.  Another is your sacrifice to allow me to come on a mission.  You and Madre had me work hard in school so I wasn't able to raise a large enough sum of money to serve a mission.  Rather, you saved since I was a child, forgoing nice cars, a bigger home, better TVs all so that I might serve the Lord on a mission.  So when I wake up in the morning and think, "Ugh, I'm tired," I remember that I'm not the only one who's sacrificing for Elder Hunt's mission.  Thank you for that.

Brandon, my brother I love you.  You may not believe me but you are the one I miss the most.  This is true.  I am looking at the picture of our family.  I look at it daily down here in Dallas.  With me gone, you have to give twice as much love to Madre and Fadre.  But love is not just about hugs and verbal proclamations.  It is about reaching outward to others and fulfilling their needs as much as your own.  When Fadre comes in after a hard day at work and bishop duties, go greet him.  Do the dishes for Madre, unasked and uninvited.  Make these things not chores but expressions of love through service.

Your brother and son forever,
Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment